Sunday, March 27, 2011

Happy birthday to Jimmy



Yesterday was our little man's third birthday.

It just seems like last week that I was staring at him in the hospital crib, tears running down my face as I thought how quickly he would grow up and not be a baby any more.

He has grown to be such a funny, entertaining, intelligent, caring little boy. I feel very proud about the way I've raised him. He is still my baby in many ways, and never likes being away from his mummy for too long. He loves cuddles and climbing up into my lap for a kiss.

Although he's a great talker, he gets some things wrong which never fail to crack us up.
- "Look I what made/ look I what did"
- "Did you didn't do that?"
- " What are we're gonna do?"
- "Look what I'm got!"

Anyway, about his birthday. MIL and I were planning on taking him to Fleay's wildlife park. DH wasn't too happy about that as he was working but I said we could all go together another time. Jimmy had a runny nose and a slight cough the day before but woke up on his birthday as sick as a dog. Poor little man. I ended up in his bed with him and we were woken at 7am. He was pretty happy with his presents. He got a magnetic drawing board thingy, a plastic Ikea toolset which he adores, an Ikea abacus, a pair of light-up sneakers, and a mummy-made outfit.







After the school run, we went to see Gran and Granddad for morning tea and gifts. He got a cool educational wooden floor puzzle and a Very Hungry Caterpillar board game, which I've tried to play with him but he's been more interested in putting the little round pieces back into the piece of card they came in. Sigh.



His cough became steadily worse, and after his nap he had a huge coughing fit that had him very distressed so I decided to go to the chemist. The lady I spoke to thought it sounded like croup and suggested I go nextdoor to the doctor. I knew it wasn't croup as he's had it twice before but we went to the doctor anyway. Jimmy was a very patient patient and the doctor gave him two lollipops after telling me it was just a virus and no medication apart from Panadol would be necessary.

We had burritos for dinner and birthday cake for dessert (made by MIL, iced by me!). I felt really bad that he had such a dull birthday.
All week I'd been telling him that we were doing something special for his birthday, and on the way back from morning tea, he kept saying, "Are we going to something special now?". Poor little man. We wanted to go tomorrow, but he is still quite sick and so is Elizabeth. DH and I have it too but we mostly just have runny noses and the sneezes.

No comments: