Sunday, June 5, 2011

Just ploddin' along

Sorry I've been neglecting you, dear blog. I don't really have any excuse, other than I don't have much to say, and if I do, I find it hard to put into words.

The weeks just fly by in a blur of playdates, errands, cooking, playing outside in the winter sun, school runs, laundry, sleeping, waking (more and more often at night), laughter, tears, arguments, and loving moments. I just cannot believe how quickly the passage of time sneaks up on you. It seems like yesterday that my GP told me there was a problem with my unborn baby, and now she's a toddler!

Our girl started taking a few steps about a month ago, and is walking a lot now, although crawling is still her favoured method of transport. She eats anything and everything in sight, loves baths with her brother, whacking Jasper the dog, playing at the park or on our swing set, her dummy and Pinky, pulling all the Tupperware out of the drawer, and jumping on her brother's bed.



She is still a very difficult child compared to Jimmy. She has tantrums at the drop of a hat- I'm talking smashing her head against the wall, rolling around on the floor, screaming and throwing things. I find them quite comical.
She has started waking up a lot more at night, usually needing a bottle and nappy change at some stage, which is a bit of a pain considering she slept through the night until a couple of months ago. Oh well, if that's what she needs, that's what she gets. I cannot and will not use controlled crying as a method of teaching my children to sleep.
She still isn't talking much. She says mama, dada (very rarely), MimMim (Jimmy), Wappa (Jasper), ball, baby, mum-mum (dummy), and bah (bath).



Jimmy is starting to assert himself a lot more. Every so often, requests are met with a firm 'No!'. His appetite has been terrible for the past few days, even though he isn't sick. I guess he's just going through a phase. We don't hassle our kids to eat- they can choose to eat what they are given, or not. We don't offer any alternative food if the meal is refused.
Apart from that, he is still the most awesomely rad little dude on the face of the planet. He is SO funny. He is so well spoken, sweet and affectionate. All of the teachers at Montessori gush about how lovely he is. They are currently testing out moving him up to the next room but are taking it very slowly as last time ended up being a disaster.



His favourites at the moment are his trains, which he is asking to bring out every day lately; his Duplo (he and Lizzie love playing it together); playing outside with his dump truck and on the swing set; stories; ABC 2; play dough; and going to the park.
He does not seem the slightest bit interested in learning to recognise numbers or letters, but I'm not worried.



DH and I have been great. I'm so glad we have a strong relationship, otherwise I think I would have left because things with T have been really crap lately. However, after DH and I had a joint session with the psychologist last week, I have a better understanding of why T is acting the way she is, as well as a bit more compassion for her.

My band, Funk Factory, has its first performance in two weeks! How scary!!! It's just a 45 minute gig at the annual Gold Coast state schools' music camp, to entertain the kids and teachers. A few of the guys in the band teach at the camp every year, and one of them suggested we play there to practise performing before we do the scary public gigs. I can't wait! I must confess that I'm a little anxious....I am, after all, just a classical flute player with very little jazz experience, and absolutely no experience running a band! Oh well, I guess you've got to learn somehow!

No comments: