Thursday, June 9, 2011

Frugal fashion


It's funny how much my attitude towards shopping has changed in the past few years. I used to think nothing of going out and buying whatever I wanted, but now I stop and think, "Can I make it? If not, can I borrow it, or buy it second hand?"

When buying clothes for myself, the only new purchases I make are underwear and basics like leggings, t shirts and jeans. Although I do love to make clothes for myself, it's hard to find styles that suit me. This tunic is really cool but the shape doesn't really do much for my figure- doesn't stop me wearing it at least once a week, though!

I really love this one. It's a knit one so has some shape in it. I've had this fabric sitting in my stash since I first started sewing 3 years ago, and never knew what to make with it. It was very difficult to work with and I need to do a lot more stretch sewing to improve my skills.



Every time I'm in the car, I've got one eye on the road and the other one scouring the sidewalk for op shops. Here is a skirt I bought at the end of summer from Thrift Chic Shop for $8. I love the colours and the print.



Oops- I don't know why this is sideways. This is a Portmans skirt, again from Thrift Chic, and $8. It is simply stunning. I can see myself wearing it with my lacy black top when I play at weddings.


Funky green retro shoes. I was stoked when I looked at these and they were my size! How many times do you spot something rad in an oppy then have your hopes crushed when you look at the size?
These were $5 from St Vinnies.



Okay, I know it's not clothing, but it's vintage Tupperware and it was 50 cents! Groovy, baby! This is from the Trinity Anglican Mission oppy in Robina. I went there today.




From the Trinity oppy. This one was $2.50. It looks awesome on!




From the Trinity one again. The photo simply does not do this dress any justice! It is stunning. When you put it on, it puffs out from under the high waistband and sits beautifully, like a 1950s frock. It also has a bubble skirt. This one was $10.


No comments: