Sunday, February 27, 2011





This weekend has been sooooooo boring. I have not left the house since Friday and I'm getting serious cabin fever!

The roofer finally came and started our roof restoration early on Saturday morning, so all day we had to listen to his really loud gurney for blasting all the old paint off the roof tiles. I couldn't go anywhere because DH was working in the garden all day and taking stuff to the dump. He did that again all day today as well. I really love our house but the yard is sooooo much work. Everyone says "Oh, but all backyards are hard work". Well, they haven't seen ours. We were discussing today the possibility of having a yard dude come here on a regular basis so that DH can actually do things with his family instead of working his butt off in the yard every weekend. We are not the kind of people to pay others to do stuff we are capable of doing ourselves, but we are seriously considering it when I start working again. Which, if you're wondering, will be next year, but only one day a week.

The bad part about DH doing yard work all weekend is that I get stuck with the kids. I don't mean that to sound nasty, but after trying to keep them entertained all week, it's nice to have some time to do my own stuff on the weekend. Today I managed to do quite a bit of sewing. I took advantage of both children napping at the same time, and brought them both into the games room with me where they were happy to play with Lego and make a big mess.

Elizabeth got a cool cushion and some lovely board books for her birthday, and I've made a little reading corner next to the couch with her books stored in an old margarine container from my kitchenhand days. I decided to make a fabric basket for the books to go in, big enough to fit the margarine container in it for strength so it can be used to carry heavier items.





In true Noelle fashion, it was done very quickly and very dodgily. It has polyester batting to give it its shape, and some coordinating fabrics that I bought from Ikea ages ago but never used.
I think I might make another one to store our 'dunny can magazines' in.



Jimmy soon discovered another use for it- a basinette for Elizabeth's doll, Li'l Betty, whom he seems to have claimed as his own. He has never played with a doll before so I was very surprised that he knew what to do. He lifted up his shirt to give her a feed and made slurping noises, then burped her, tucked her into her bed, said "It's wake up time!" and then, "She's learning to walk now!". It was so cute.




I also started on, and almost finished, a nappy for Elizabeth. I took a photo of her stash the other day and was thinking that we have more than enough, then I realised I have enough nappy making fabrics to create a whole new stash. So I am going to try to make one or two per fortnight and sell on some of the ones she already has.

A friend have me some truly stunning minky- this grape colour (it looks burgundy in the pics) and a blue/green one. They are unbelievably soft and lush. I decided to try an applique on this one. It's pretty dodgy but not too bad. I'm slowly getting better at my satin stitch.





I'm trying the front snap version of the Darling Diapers pattern this time. I do love my side snappers but DH and MIL much prefer front fasteners, not 'backwards nappies'. Haha.
It will be an All-in-two, my nappy of choice.

No comments: