Thursday, February 17, 2011

Creations



Well, so far this year I've ALMOST stuck to my resolution of finishing one project a week. Almost.


First up was this special outfit for Elizabeth's birthday. I had bought a huge amount of fabric from someone on a forum, inluding two deliciously cute and girly cupcake prints. I decided on a romper because dresses are too awkward for crawling babies. I decided to use a crisp apple green instead of the typical pink.

I used two different vintage patterns, both by McCalls. The hat is a one-size-fits-all, so it's a wee bit on the big side, but still fine. Instead of lining it with plain, boring fabric, I used a cute print and added buttonholes next to the chin straps to make it fully reversible. I absolutely love it and I think the shape of the brim is so cute.

The romper I made perhaps one size too big, but the Scottish in me always wants things to fit for longer, so I made it in medium instead of small. I modified it by doing away with the leg elastic in a casing, opting instead for a rolled hem with thin elastic sewn a presser foot's width away from the edge to give the ruffled look that I think is just adorable. I added some pink ric rac and a purchased cupcake transfer (both Ebay buys).

Next up was something girly for Trudie's baby girl, who arrived earthside today (yay!!!).
I decided on a tiny weeny little pinafore to fit this winter. I made my pattern using a pinny of Elizabeth's and it turned out great. The corduroy fabric was from the same lot as the cupcake fabric. I used a nice dark, stiff denim for the 'good' side and experimented with my machine's blanket stitch around the applique.



I also decided to make a cute romper. I chose this sweet blue floral quilter's cotton because I think Trudie will like it. I made the small size, which will hopefully fit for a while. I put 3 different snap settings on the straps to make it last longer.


I put them in a box with some lovely hand knitted goodies- a dress that another dear friend made for Elizabeth which is unfortunately far too small; a pair of pants and matching beanie knit by my MIL as well as some booties; a totally adorable apricot cardi and bonnet set which was too big for Elizabeth last winter and too small now; and a few pairs of socks.



A couple of fitted nappies I made for an online swap. It's lucky I'm not a fan of fitteds, otherwise they'd never have made it to their new owner- they are just divine!
I cut the outers in 2 halves so that the pattern would be the right way up whether viewed from the back or the front.


1 comment:

Stacey said...

Wow you're doing sew ;) well! It's funny how crafty we are getting in our old age!!