Sunday, August 29, 2010

Good mum?

When I tell people that Elizabeth is bottle fed, most of them assume that she has formula. So it's very interesting guaging their reactions when I tell them that I express for her. They fall into two categories:

"Wow, what a great gift you are giving her!"
The people who say this say it sincerely, and truly have admiration for what I do. Even though they may not necessarily be breastfeeders, they appreciate that I am giving my daugher the very best Nature has to offer.

"You're a good mum, aren't you?"
Now, the ones who say this say it with a look on their face that they try to hide...a look that says "Why would you bother doing that when there are so many good formulas nowadays?" I'd love for someone to say that to me, so I can tell them exactly why I bother!

I express for my daughter because my milk is nutritionally superior to anything in a tin; it's free; I'll never have to make a mad dash to the shop if I run out; and it's better for the environment!

On another note, last night in the bath I offered E some booby, and instead of screaming like she always does, she opened her mouth really wide and stuck out her tongue! She had a teeny tiny little feed (about 5 seconds)- not much, but something!

I tried again today, and the same thing happened, but this time she stuck with it for a bit longer- she had a couple of 15 second sucks! After a few minutes, she got really cranky, so I stopped.

It's funny that I had resigned myself to never breastfeeding her, and now she is interested! I guess that babies really do feed off our emotions...now that I'm not obsessing about it, she has relaxed more.

I'm not getting my hopes up just yet, but it's a step in the right direction!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

OMG Noelle that's a fabulous first step...why isn't this your facebook status LOL