Monday, November 29, 2010

Christmas is coming!

I'm getting excited. Even though we're not religious at all (in fact, we are die hard atheists), there's just something magical about Christmas. Especially when you have children. I remember the excitement and anticipation surrounding Christmas when I was a kid.

My sister and I had traditions that we would carry out every year. We would watch the old Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer movie (the one with plasticine figures), and lie underneath the tree, staring up into the branches. On Christmas Eve, we would sleep in the same bed (either hers, mine or the spare bed) and read Christmas books, then when we were tired, would whisper excitedly, "See you on Christmas! Shh, stop talking, go to sleep!"

We would wake up super early, run into the lounge room, and marvel at the presents under the tree. While we waited for Mum and Dad to wake up, we would examine the parcels and decided on an order in which we would open them. Then when Mum and Dad finally stirred, after what seemed like a million years, we would leap onto their bed and say, "Merry Christmas!" and then kind of act like we'd forgotten about the presents, just bursting for them to say, "Well, go and get the presents!" We would be so happy with everything we got. One year, all we wanted was our own Cabbage Patch Doll each, but didn't think that we would get them because they were fairly expensive, and we were beside ourselves with excitement when we each received one.
Mum chose our gifts very carefully every year.

I have been buying presents for my children since halfway through the year. I always think ahead to Christmas and keep an eye out for the items I want at bargain prices. I don't spend a lot and I prefer to buy a few well made things instead of loads of plastic crap. I did want to make many of the gifts myself this year but it looks like only Jimmy's quilt cover and Elizabeth's cot quilt will be made in time.

It's very difficult buying presents for Tiffany, when she is used to getting so much stuff from her mother. For the first few years David and I were together, we would spend at least $200 on gifts for her, and she would cry because she was upset that we didn't give her enough. That really used to upset me because I would spend so much time choosing what to buy her, and her mother would just buy her enough toys to fill a toy store. Over the years, we have gradually spent less on her, and she now realises that our gifts are carefully chosen, as opposed to her mother, who last year spent over $1000 on stuff that has mostly remained untouched to this day.

I can't wait to eat lots of yummy food and watch my children have fun. I really love spending time with my in-laws. My brother in law will be here for the first time in a few years which is great. I thought about not bothering to invite my sister and mum but thought it's probably easier to keep the peace.

2 comments:

Stacey said...

I am all excited about it too, seems the older I get the more pathetic I get about things like Christmas hehe. Kids make everything magic!

Kat - TeamKitten said...

haha yes i agree! i am the most excited about Christmas this year than I have been since i was a kid. I imagine this feeling will grow as Juni and Tyler get older too! AND i love the idea of having those kind of traditions too - that they do each year, getting more excited in the lead up to Christmas!