Sunday, January 10, 2010

The beach

T's eldest brother took her fishing today and it was very hot so we decided to head down to the beach in the afternoon.

We took our new sun shelter and used it for the first time. It's awesome! It's so big and lovely to sit in. I relaxed in it for a couple of minutes while DH went for a swim and Jimmy played in the sand at the entrance to the shelter.
Whilst I was sitting there, I indulged in one of my favourite pastimes of people watching. There were so many beautiful, golden bodies lying in the sun. I thought back to 10 years ago when I desperately wanted to be one of those people, and would fry myself in the sun in a vain (double meaning there!) attempt to get a tan. It never worked- I have my Dad's pale skin. Now, I look at those people and feel sorry for them- that they put their own vanity before their good health. I don't really understand how people can roast themselves all day when we live in the skin cancer capital of the world. I made a comment to DH about how brown and glamourous everyone was, and how white and pasty I am, but that I'd rather be alive and unattractive than good looking and dead at 50. Of course, he told me that I'm beautiful anyway. :0)

Anyway, I took Jimmy down to the water but he was very scared of the waves, so we looked for rocks to put in his bucket. After DH came ashore, I went in the water and had a ball. I didn't want to go back in! The waves were a bit rough but I had fun diving beneath them.

After my swim, we all played in the sand for about half an hour. Jimmy had so much fun trashing everything that his dad painstakingly constructed. Then we both had another turn of going in the surf, which was really rough and quite unpleasant by this stage, so we didn't last very long. Then we packed up and headed home. Jimmy talked about it all the way home..."Beach. Water. Rocks. Santa (sand)." Another great afternoon at the beach.

No comments: